This is Not a Pipe
I thought about writing a short story for this but, well, I didn’t.
I’m too tired today. Not physically, but mentally. Trying to think about Surrealism made my head spin and I ended up daydreaming. In the weird way my mind does, I remembered something random: a video I once made about Classicists and style. This was in relation to Dadaism and Expressionism. According to Wikipedia, Surrealism was born out of Dadaism so I guess it makes sense I’d think of it. For the kicks, here’s the video.
That song is going to be in my head all day.
We all know this picture, right? “This is not a pipe”. It’s kind of mind blowing when you think about it. It’s totally like Saussure. As you’ll know from a number of my posts I love Saussure’s theory that words are merely labels. Letters are just shapes that we humans created for the sole purpose of communication. I could go on about it all day, but perhaps I’ll save that for later. My 100th post is coming up soon so maybe I’ll dedicate that to blowing your mind with his ideas.
But in terms of this picture and surrealism, I can’t fully make a link. I don’t understand surrealism enough to talk about it. But I’m fascinated by the truth of it. It’s funny. It looks like a pipe, so surely it is a pipe, no? No. It is not a pipe. It is a drawing of a pipe. It is a visual representation of the concept you have in your mind of what a pipe is. The simplicity and truth of it makes me laugh.
I’ve been scrolling down the Surrealism page of Wikipedia for a bit. I’d hoped there would be more pictures. But I did come across a name I remember. Max Ernst. I’ve seen that name before, and for those who watched the video above for the laughs you may recall seeing his name come up. I’m pretty sure I mentioned him. I find it hard to interpret Surrealist paintings in the same way I could never interpret Freud. Everybody else on my course got it, thrived in fact in that section of the module. But I always lagged behind. I took art at school and at college, but I could never figure out the deep meaning behind any of Freud’s interpretations, and I’ve never been able to dig deep enough to understand Surrealist art. But it can’t be denied: Max Ernst is a pretty damned interesting artist.
Sorry this post sucks, but just look at all the pretty pictures!
If you appreciate art, watch this space, because I have a plan to do a post or two in the not so distant future on some of my favourite paintings. There’ll most definitely be one on Carravaggio and I have a few up my sleeve from last week’s Victorian lecture that I’d like to share. For now, accept my apology and please know that I’ll try harder tomorrow.
Other time warps:
- Karma For a Lapsed Veggie | AS I PLEASE
- Mad Hatter and I | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Ecclesiastical rocket | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Lime Plant in White | Exploratorius
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone- The Psychological Fact of Living | Journeyman
- Coffee Neurotics Seem To Find Each Other and The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- The Twilight Zone | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Under the Monkey Tree
- Wholesale Hot Dogs | the intrinsickness
- Surreal journey: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | The Wandering Poet
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- fandom | yi-ching lin photography
- DP Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Sabethville
- IN THE ZONE AND OUT AGAIN | SERENDIPITY
- in concert, there ought | y
- The Truth About Motherhood | theempathyqueen
- Pushing forty, going on sixteen… most of us anyway. | thoughtsofrkh
- Drunkenness Adventures | Knowledge Addiction
- You will meet a tall, dark, handsome stranger- again | Suddenly Single in Marin
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | SURREAL | nomadofwoods
- Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Twilight Zone meets Logan | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | A Day In The Life
- One Crazy Mom » Living In A Haze
- The Santa in Derby UK | Le Drake Noir
- For E., With Love and Make-up | Kosher Adobo
- 270. Train Rush | Barely Right of Center
- Twilight Zone | The Silver Leaf Journal
- The Daily Post: Twilight Zone – Revelation | growinolder
- Surreal (Short story) | A mom’s blog
- The Cruelty of Time | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- Chaffinch | Writing and Works
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone « Mama Bear Musings
- Episodes of Serenity | My Musings | WANGSGARD
- Daily Prompt/ Twilight Zone? | Sitting on the Porch
- Get Transported. How? Finding Awe | Emotional Fitness
- Daily Prompt: The Twilight Zone | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- DP: Surreal | As I See It
- Twilight Moments (Daily Prompt Challenge) | Ana Linden
- In the Nick of Time. | jwdwrites
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Indira’s Blog
- Time Warp | Views Splash!